View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

midgie hater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to the NW E/SE of Portland this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Hear you. Load up your printer with paper ... you may be going through a lot of it .....

Fred
Thanks for the warning! I've had IT meltdown for several days and my printer cable is screwed anyway so it won't be a problem for a while. No doubt when the time comes I will have forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Les,
Winter Steelhead begin entering the Sandy River with the first winter rains usually about the middle of December. The winter run winds down in March and a summer run of hatchery fish start entering. This fishery lasts until sometime in June for the spey rodder when the river warms and drops low. It then gets polluted with drinking rafters. The winter run consist of some wild fish and broodstock hatchery fish. The wild fish are ESA listed. Most of the walk in access for the spey angler is from Oxbow Park down and most of it is within the park. It is a big beautiful park with several nice runs. The river is easily floated from oxbow down giving access to much more water. Anglers may fish this water from a boat. Above the Oxbow boat ramp this is not allowed. The river above oxbow is much more technical requiring white water equipment and skills. Many guides both fly and gear offer floats on this section. Marmot dam was removed to provide more wild fish access to the upper river. Before the dam was removed hatchery winter fish were culled out there. The river gets alot smaller above the old dam site and access is limited. Although the Sandy has some trout it is not a good flyfishing trout stream in my opinion. Hatches are sparse, as they are on most west slope streams, and the fish are small and mostly salmoniod smolts. Most Portland area trout fishers head east of the cascades to Central Oregon. I hope this info helps... Let me know if you need any other general info...
~Jay
Hi Jay - great information. Thanks Yes I heard that the Winter runs would have started recently. Maybe I read that in the Williamette regs. guide. Can't remember at the moment.

Regarding Spey rods: Is that considered the only viable tool for catching Steelheads (and, I assume, Salmon too) on that part of the Sandy and perhaps elsewhere? I don't, despite living in Scotland, own a Spey rod - yet I'd hoped I would manage with my 9/10#

Interesting to hear about trout fishing on the Sandy - or should I say "disappointing" I read that a number of species were to be found but that's the first info. i've seen anywhere about hatches. Hmmm, I wonder why so sparse? Mind you, it appears to be quite a rocky river in many places and perhaps it doesn't run through very fertile areas in which case the available nutrients will be minimal and the knock-on effect on viable trout food significant? I'll try to find more. Pity though. What about the Clackamas? Is the trout fishing better there?

But yes thanks for all that information. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Welcome to the forum Les.

Hopefully we can meet up in OR or WA as I am looking for a job in those states right now.
Hi and thanks Yes I hope so. Obviously hooking up (excuse the intentional pun) with like-minded enthusiasts - and people who actually know what they're doing on these rivers will be very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Les,

I think your intro was a good one! However, I am not in your new home area and so can't offer much in the way of help. Fred will no doubt get you sorted as well as possible and I wish you the very best in your new home.

Welcome to the forum

Ard
Thank you. Much appreciated Yes, Fred has been very helpful and generous with his knowledge, as has Jay too now.

Thank you all again. Look forward to interacting further very soon!

Les