View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The rebellious switch rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I believe it will be easier to take the class with the longer Spey type rod and then apply the lessons to the shorter rod. I would not hesitate to ask the fellow instructing the casting about bringing the switch along also.In 3 days you ought to be able to get around to it also.

Many casts are the same, they are just made using a shorter rod and line head. I bought an 11'6" last year and found that it was quite like my 13 - 15' rods except sort of a mini version. I wanted it to fit a few creeks that are too small for the longer rods but too much work for me with single hand rods.

Of course there are still places where I use 6'6" - 8' rods but since I found an 11'6" I now have every conceivable size stream or river covered.

Tell the instructor what rod you have and see if he'll help you. I assume this isn't free so he should roll with the punches.

Are
Hey Kozak
I mirror exactly what Ard said (hence the quote). I was in your position just last year. I was a long time single hander that needed an excuse to get more stuff....and wanted to get into spey. I 'thought' spey was not versatile and 'switch' seemed best suited for my waters. While I was right in one regard (switch suited for my type of fishing)...i was off in the way i went about it.

I had a hell of a time loading the switch...figuring out casting timing. At that time, I only was trying to do/learn from books and videos. SO I take a spey course with Rick Whorwood.

First 2 things he says at the start of the course....DON'T try learn from videos...and don't try learn on a Switch Rod. I was at 2 strikes before I even touched a spey rod. HAH.

SO...I took the course....and it was easy to get timinng and such. THEN...armed with that knowledge and feel...i went back to the switch. SOme casts, as Ard states, are not great suited for the switch...while some....work great but timing and loading is way different.

Take a true spey course....LEAVE the switch in the tube until you do. Then, with a good base...get on the switch and have fun.

King Joe Outa Here!