Thread: Newb help.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb help.

I think your best bet is to find a local chapter of TU, United Fly Tiers, or Fed. of Fly Fisherman, and go to a meeting. Many of them will have extra vises and materials, and have experienced tiers who are thrilled to take a newbie under their wings.
The next best choice is to find a fly shop and ask whether they have fly tying classes. Some of them provide them for free, others charge. The larger shops, e.g. Orvis, LL Bean, Bass Pro, etc. often have demonstrations and/or classes.

As far as patterns are concerned, my suggestion is that you learn to tie a couple of basics rather than concentrating on particular patterns. For instance, I would recommend Haystacks, Elk Hair Caddis, Pheasant Tail Nymphs, and Muddlers to get started. None of them is particularly difficult, nor do they require any expensive materials. Once you get a handle on the techniques, then you can branch out. I suggest you buy one of each fly you intend to tie, and use it as a model to help with proportions.

If you noticed my online name, it represents my go-to dry fly: the high visibility Adams. I'm quite partial to it, tie it in 12, 14, and 16, and would recommend you try it once you've got a few flies under your belt.

Good luck-