View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winston: anyone recognise this model?

The progenitor to the WT I was referring to has no parts suggestive of broom handles (except the reel seat insert). Over-lining a soft tipped classic Winston might actually disqualify one from fishing with it. Ironically, were I to elect to fish my early 80's 8 1/2'/#6, I would probably start off with a modern 5.5-weight line like the new Gold. The tips are very easily collapsed on these early Tom Morgan designs and, as with any fly rod, this is to be avoided.

Burk, Have you introduced your friends in Michigan to the 8 1/2' Zeniths? And I would include the contemporary Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2' rods in this elite, shorter presentation rod category too. These rods have subtlety in taper transition, absence from oscillation, superior tip recovery and greatly reduced mass relative to the Winston in my collection. I am inclined to suspect that the feel Morgan achieved in these earlier designs was somewhat influential on Rajeff and Croston when they dialed back their high performance designs to develop these sweet, smaller river rods.