View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 AM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of
Default Re: The rebellious switch rod

Just like Tyler, I didn't take a casting course for my 1 hand and switch. You CAN learn this by yourself. If you are talking to an instructor he/she will lead you into taking a course, that is OK and legit. But watching good videos from good instructors can help you to achieve all the good things in spey/switch casting too. You tube and vimeo (better videos) are my best friends, and I can watch a footage over and over again and take mental notes for then apply it when I practice.
I am also a beginner and still learning, I have a 10'6" 5/6 weight switch rod, it has a balance setup now and it makes casting easier. I am 100% fishing in clear stillwater lakes in the high mountains, I don't go to a river, the heck I don't even know if there is a river close by. Me and my setup like the sustain anchor casts, the single spey/switch cast isn't that bad either if I can just stick to the 180 and the single spey anchoring principle so I won't hit my running line or my rod with the fly.

It is easier to abandon what you already have and go with the other ones like a better rods or longer rods. I recently done some rods sampling and found out that the sample rods were much better in casting with and without the right line. But I'll stick with the one I have. It is a great switch rod and have good reviews from better and more experience casters.

My switch rod was a rebellious one also I until I gave it what it deserves (time, time and a sweet fly line) and now it is my lap dog.