View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

Hi everyone,

First let me say that I fish alone most of the time. Not because I like the solitude but because my long time fly fishing partner passed. Those of you who fish alone may be missing a great opportunity to form a lifelong friendship.

I Don't want to fish with just anyone. Whoever I fish with has to share my love of fishing. I have had three fishing buddies. A high school buddy, my 30 year friend and a friend that I now fish with when he has time off from work. Unfortunately that is not very often and he doesn't fly fish. So fishing with a real partner and friend is way better than fishing alone. When I was in Alaska I met Wayne the first day there and we bought homes next to each other. We both hunted, reloaded, fly fished and tied flies. So it didn't take long for us to form a bond that connected us for the next thirty years. We both became pilots and along the way, best friends. If you have ever had a special dog you will understand the relationship Wayne and I had. Not that either of us were a dog.

When we went fishing we always split up and keep a separation between us so it was like we were fishing alone. Usually we stayed in sight of each other but not always. Wayne had a habit of sticking to a spot for ever. While I move on down or up stream. Eventually I would have to come back and find him. Then we spent dinner time sharing the stories of the day.

So all of you loan fly fishers keep you eye open for a fishing partner. You may be lucky and find a life long friend who shares your enthusiasm and love of fly fishing. Believe me it is much more fun with your best friend along.

Frank