Thread: The Unicorn...
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default The Unicorn...

So, saw my first permit today.

Not necessarily a big deal for people who see them often, but this was a little more special. I was checking out this little pocket flat, mainly to target snappers and jacks on the surrounding coral heads. I am just walking out on some turtle grassy marl type stuff, and I see a fairly large tail pop up.

I sort of started to think "that looks a bit large to be a permit", so I went a bit closer thinking it was some sort of jack or trevally. At about 30-40ft, I cast my size two clouser directly in front of it and start to strip... no response. He keep happily nibbling on whatever he is eating, tail flashing in the sun, and my blood pressure starts to rise. Take a few more casts, and nothing. Tail is gone, so I just assumed he vanished... I was pretty certain it was a permit at this point.

I am debating changing to a crab fly, when I see the tail again. I panic a bit, take one more nervous cast and line the fish. He bolts around the flat and directly in front of me, about a rods length away. I've never held a permit before, but this fish looked large. If I'd have to guess, he was well over 30 pounds... it looked, well, big.

My 8-weight would have folded under a fish that size, so I was just happy to have the opportunity to even see him and take a few token casts at him. Certainly made my day, as I wasn't expecting to see much of anything.