View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Line weight/rod weight question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla View Post
I'm thinking about getting my son-in-law a rod and reel, etc., for his birthday in mid-March. I know nothing about fishing, but I read the interviews with you and Tom Morgan, so I know it's pretty specialized.

My son-in-law lives between Dallas and Ft. Worth, Texas. He and my daughter and my grandchildren go to lakes, small rivers and streams to hike and picnic, etc. He tells me he has done some fishing. I was going to get a lifetime membership in Trout Unlimited and give him one of the Sage rods with reel that come with the membership, until I read the Tom Morgan (Winston) interviews.

What weight rod, length of hand-knotted leader, type and size of fly, type of reel, and so forth would you recommend in his situation? I don't want to get something he can't use or that won't work where he fishes.

Also, can you give me an idea of the prices on this equipment?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

kayla

Sent from my iPad
Since you mention trout unlimited I'd assume he would target trout? It's hard to go wrong with nearly any good fly rod and reel combo -- something in the 9 foot length, 4-weight, 5-weight or 6-weight size is pretty easy to find a use for, for ANY fly fisherman . Generally with fly rods you get what you pay for, but there are some really good rods in the $150-300 range. I like TFOs quite a bit for the money, but that's just me and many others are good too.