Thread: new to the salt
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM

thebunky_1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new to the salt

We travel there every summer and I usually find a cheap bait caster river type rig to take. I usually spend $75 or so.

This year I want to find a fly combo to take but also keep as an investment. Those bait caster combos I buy at Academy Sports usually don't make the trip home due to the salt and sand corrosion. There's only so much a can of WD-40 will do.

Anyway, on this fly rod/reel setup I'm wondering about length. I've been looking at the combo at the link, an Orvis Access, but the 9 foot length has me concerned about my back cast and hitting the sand. I'm wondering if I need to look at a 10 feet spey rod instead.

Saltwater Fly Rod Outfit / Access 908-4 Fly Rod Outfit—Tip Flex -- Orvis

This will be the primary use for this setup. I have an 8 wt TFO/Redington setup for my Bass and Carp needs.

The only other concern is the wind. While bait fishing, I usually throw a 1oz shad so that I can get it as close to the second sandbar as possible or over it. The second sandbar is what I call the shallow area just before the gradual drop off to the deeper waters of the gulf.

Will the 8 wt line be easy to cast into the constant wind down there?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen...