View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

john montana is just really nicejohn montana is just really nicejohn montana is just really nicejohn montana is just really nice
Default First carp of 2014 for me

It has been a long, cold winter! We finally got a day of sun, and despite the water likely being way too cold, I checked out an area that usually gets the first couple of carp of the season to show. I pulled up, walked down to take a peak and saw this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Game on. This was just a small part of what I could see, there were carp everywhere in the shallows. Near as I could figure the one blast of sun we had sent the fish to the soft bottom to soak up some rays. Works for me. I geared up and got after them and absolutely slaughtered fish. All I had to do was get a hybrid within 2-3 inches of a carp and they would eat. Normally when they are grouped up you catch a few and they spook the rest, but the water temps were still so cold that the fish just came in like logs. I would sneak into position, make the cast, watch a SLOW dip and eat and then set the hook. The fish would roll up, and I would tow it to me and unhook it. No runs, just a simple tow and unhook. The good part was that very few fish spooked so I caught a load of them, but only had a couple take any fly line at all. Still...a great start to the season!

Click the image to open in full size.

Carp on the Fly