View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default First carp of 2014 for me

It has been a long, cold winter! We finally got a day of sun, and despite the water likely being way too cold, I checked out an area that usually gets the first couple of carp of the season to show. I pulled up, walked down to take a peak and saw this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Game on. This was just a small part of what I could see, there were carp everywhere in the shallows. Near as I could figure the one blast of sun we had sent the fish to the soft bottom to soak up some rays. Works for me. I geared up and got after them and absolutely slaughtered fish. All I had to do was get a hybrid within 2-3 inches of a carp and they would eat. Normally when they are grouped up you catch a few and they spook the rest, but the water temps were still so cold that the fish just came in like logs. I would sneak into position, make the cast, watch a SLOW dip and eat and then set the hook. The fish would roll up, and I would tow it to me and unhook it. No runs, just a simple tow and unhook. The good part was that very few fish spooked so I caught a load of them, but only had a couple take any fly line at all. Still...a great start to the season!

Click the image to open in full size.

Carp on the Fly