View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fernie or Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytom View Post
I resided in Kitimat BC approx 40 miles south of Terrace.
I enjoyed excellent fishing on the Kitimat river.
My favourite venue was a few miles east of Terrace.
The local name was the Copper River, but it's proper name, on the map, is the Indian name, the Zymoetz. My spelling my not be quite right, but the Copper had excellent steelhead, My favourite spot was 20 miles up the Copper, called the Clore. Forst class steelhead fishing.
I enjoyed the countryside at Houston, where I worked for a while, and fished the Bulkly River.
Some good fishing and hunting (moose) up the "Nass Road", accessed from Terrace, and eventually reaches the Nass River.
All in all, good hunting and fishing country.
However, the small town of Hudson Hope is paradise for hunting and fishing.
Located between Chetwynd and Fort St. John( North from Prince George)
NOW your talking my neck of the woods....well, 12 years ago it was my neck of the woods. Hudson Hope on the Peace River. I lived in Ft. St. John for 22 years and fished and hunted and worked at fishing and hunting all over that country. 11...yes ELEVEN big game species mere minutes away from Hudsons Hope....and no shortage of small game including waterfowl. Fishing...granted, we have no migratories as HH is on the Eastern side of the Rockies....there is good rainbow, brookie, bull, whitefish (3 species), pike, walleye, perch,grayling....and things like burbot and squawfish....even the odd inconnu (she-fish) on the Williston Lake. Fishing....literally...you could fish a well known walleye/pike lake catching 40 walleye an hour (not kidding) in the morning..on the fly....fly fish for grayling, whitefish and rainbows while having a riverside lunch (on the Peace)....then hike into one of the many stocked mountain lakes and catch 10 pound plus bows from your float tube.

As a hunter-fisher...some of my best memories of 'home'....involve some form of leaving home early in the moring.... with my bow, shotgun, fly rod, float tube and black lab in my truck. First thing in the morning....still hunting for moose, mule deer, whitetail deer or bear till sun up. Drive to a big swamp lake that has tons of access roads literally onto the lake (oil exploration) and jump/pass shooting ducks and geese. Drive a bit more to a series of brook and rainbow trout stocked lakes and float tube fly fish. Have lunch...yep, its only lunch time...have a nap...and follow the return loop home filling in any of the bag limit gaps that remain....incidental grouse (ruffed, spruce, ptarmingan, sharptail)...those along any of the routes I am on....are always part of any of these trip legs. ALL done in a day...ALL within maybe 200 km total drive distance to take it all in. From my house in FSJ, I could repeat this with a myriad of interchangeable species (sub rainbows for walleye, moose for elk, bear for sheep, etc.)

HERE`S the problem though. BC Hydro...is, yet again, proposing its Site C dam. Unlike the first 2 attempts at getting this dam in (I actually did some of the fisheries assessments for those studies then), this dam will be located some 45 or so MILES downstream of Hudson`s Hope. The resultant impoundment...will flood the entire Peace Valley ending the majority of opportunities I discussed above. Hopefully, this attempt will die also....but I digress.

King Joe Outa Here!