View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Furled leaders - pros & cons. any1 use them?

I make my own and sell a few on the side. I'm 70 years old and totally retired, so I have very little dog in this hunt.

First, furled leaders made of mono totally destroy the purpose of a furled leader. I would only consider them if made from unithread.

Pros:

Zero memory. I can pull one out of my leader wallet that has been there for four years, uncoil it, and it drops straight as an arrow.

Completely limp. Even at the butt. Exactly what you want for spring creeks and their micro currents.

Long lasting. I'm starting on my third season on the one on my reel. But ONLY if it has a tiny metal ring on the tippet end.

Turns over better than mono.

Dirt cheap to make. 30 cents worth of materials in each.

Cons:

Must apply floatant in the morning if fishing drys all day.

Wind knots are tough to untie on the stream. Because they are so limp you can't push on the leader to work out a knot. If I get a wind knot in my leader, I put on a new one. When I get home, I get out a couple of fine needles and carefully pull the knot apart. Good as new, no memory.

Chris