View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

Love it, the old wind knot. I have gotten "wind knots" sitting in my easy chair cleaning my gear at it chaps my fanny.My brother in law used to laugh at me and say I would have a better chance if my line were actually in the water with the fish.

It is weird as time goes on and you get better they will go away. You will actually get to a point where in mid cast you will go "ah ha" that's a bad cast. You stop and undo one little "wind loop".

My theory is a wind knot is a bunch of little wind loops all cinched up nice and snug by a fly fisherman who didn't realize he made the bad cast that started the ball rolling. Once you have your first tangle repeated casting compounds and tightens the mess up. Trust my I know this from experience. I still take 8 leaders fishing with me "just in case".

Loved reading this I was laughing hard because in some way shape or form we've all been there and done that. Especially your crack about the olive midge. True story, fishing with my buddy and he is catching and I am not. I ask whatcha using, olive midge he says. Hmmm pooop I didnt have any. He stops and looks through his box and says "oh man I have one more". I walk up to him and as he is handing it to me he slipped a little and dropped it in the river. Now down to one, and on his next fish he broke off. And now you know the story of why I carry minimum 12 of any pattern/size in my box.

This was a great Sunday morning read, thanks for sharing.