View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 11:47 AM

jesse_horine is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing The Surf

Anyone who loves fly fishing always dreams of catching a tailing red or a thrashing tarpon on a fly rod. It is something of beauty that not many fisherman through out the world are able to do.

Although, what if you take a family vacation to a beach anywhere on the coast and you do not have easy access to a boat and your shake your head at breaking waves because you know that there is a fish of some sorts within a lines reach but the only question is, how do you catch them? Most guys I have seen fishing from the surf use massive rods with 3-4 oz. pyramid weights and whatever kind of bait they can find such as shrimp, sand fleas, or mud minnows to throw on their rigs. Even as they attempt to cast far out into the ocean their cast do not go tremendously far and yet they still catch blue fish, red fish, pompano etc. I have heard that these fish troll the waves feeding on sand fleas that are being washed in the breaking waves so if you can catch them with massive rods and weights, why not a fly rod?

This is a subject that is not widely talked about and seldom published by a professional to read and study about. As for tips and techniques used to catch these fish with a fly rod it is virtually impossible to find unless you spend hours online searching for it. I believe that there ARE fish close to the beaches and these fish ARE catch able!

I would like to know what type of rod, line, sinking line, flies, methods people use to catch these fish!

Thanks
-Jesse Horine