View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Fishing The Surf

Jesse, first of all, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for answers to your questions about fly fishing.

If you search threads on this forum, you will find some very good information about surf fishing with flies. This is something I've been doing for the last five years in So Cal.

Catching fish in the surf does not require 15-foot rods with heavy weights and bait. I use a 6 or 8 weight fly rod with sinking line and short 4-6 foot section of 8 to 12-lb mono. Attched to that is a fly that is usually a variation of a Clouser in sizes 8 to 1/0. Locally, fish in the surf zone favor things that look like sand crabs, so that's what I throw with reasonable success. I recommend using a stripping basket to manage your line, and you can either wet wade or use waders.

You will be amazed at the fish that can be caught within 50 feet of the beach.

-VB