View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM

thebunky_1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing The Surf

I'm glad this thread is here. There is another one pertaining to fishing the surf around Pensacola/FWB that I replied to recently but the threads are hard to find.

I purchased a 9 wt Clearwater outfit as my first saltwater rig. We vacation yearly to the Alabama Gulf coast. More times than not I book a charter out of Romar marina near Orange Beach. This charter is aboard a 23' Kenner skiff boat. I might just bring my fly rig aboard this year if the captain agrees, however I will most certainly be knee deep in the surf each morning and evening behind our rental which is two miles from Fort Morgan, AL. I'll watch the tide charts closely and fish both the Gulf and Bay sides of the peninsula.

I started to go with a spey setup but settled on the 9 foot, 9 wt rig.

I bought an assortment of flies. Mostly clousers, crabs, shrimp and squid patterns which I will also try to tie some of my own variations before our trip which is around the July 4 holiday. I plan on taking various sizes ranging from 4,6,8 all the way up to 1/0. I cannot wait to get back down there with fly tackle this year instead of bait casting gear.

In the past I've done quite well with a bait casting setup catching a little bit of everything from ladyfish to Spanish. I really want to hook up with some redfish but I'm not sure if that's possible from the surf.

I'm still undecided on a stripping basket. I plan on fishing at low tide as much as possible and do my best on reading the breaks and small jetties along the beach. I hope the fact that I don't have a basket doesn't come back to bite me.

I hear that when the tides change the fish really like to run up in the bays around the Pass near Orange Beach and up into Mobile Bay.

Hopefully with the heavier weight line the wind won't be too much of an issue. If so, I may wind up with a lot of new body piercings...

As the original poster mentioned, there are a ton of guys fishing those big water rigs with cut ladyfish, triangle weights and sand anchors. In the past, I've given the ladyfish I've caught to them to use as bait and they've caught a little bit of everything from sharks to skates.