View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default fuzzy math and four exposed stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
UPWARDS OF 20 FISH on one fly w/o retying, if they fly is properly made. That means good tight wrappings and a good coat of head cement after each element is added.6 flies lasted through about 250 fish. When I've caught fish with them it's usually the stinger in the jaw. Only occassionally is the fish hooked deeply, there's little extra damage done. (Diver Dan's opinion welcome, too.)?
250/6=41.66, four exposed stems hanging off in space, hmmm. Just because a fish is hanging on a stinger hook does not mean it "short striked". It just means that was the first hook to hit the fish. One of those stems break and it changes the color of the fly. I know from experiance there is no way an exposed stem will make it "UPWARDS OF 20 FISH" and for darn sure won't make it 41.66 fish. I dare every pike fisherman here to tie one of these mini dusters and try it. When I tie most of my marabou flies, I take my finger nails, which won't cut anything harder than butter and SNAP that little stem off to remove the end of the feather. I then take the remaining marabou and using the stem snap it into a Marc Petijean table clip. I then take the skinny clip and transfer the feather to the skinny clip. Next I take my scissors and REMOVE the stem. I catch the ends exposed (1/8" or so) in a dubbing loop. I spin the loop and then wrap it brushing the marabou back. The only way to remove marabou this way of tying a fly is to break each and every fiber. These flies dont make it through 40 smallies let alone pike. Your fly is no where near as tough based on the four exposed stems. The only weak spot in a Reynolds pike fly the way I tie them is the marabou, which once again is tied with NO exposed stem. The tube fly I pictured lost half the marabou in four pike. They were all smaller fish, which generally have sharper teeth than the bigger ones, but still. As for the "proper" tying you mentioned with the good coat of head cement, I stopped using head cement years ago on pike flies and went to 5 min. epoxy. Teeth go through head cement like poop through a goose. The way I tie the Reynold's pike fly only has exposed 5 min. epoxy on the weed gaurd at the bend in the hook.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-02-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add a line