View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Jbbfly,
Sorry to hear of the decline of a once productive trout water. The carp is a fighter. While I do not target them, there are many here in Colorado who fish voraciously for them. This one in your post is a beauty.
Some affectionately call the carp the "Golden Bonefish"
I've always seen carps in this area even 30 years ago when there were nice browns...today there are only big chub and dace...and some stocked rainbows left by the"meaters".Pollution ,lack of water and silly regulations killed this stream.I've only got photos and great memories of the time when browns lived here...sad...but big chubs and dace are great fun and other flyfishermen don't care about them...

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have caught some large carp while nymphing for brown trout where Lycoming Creek meets the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The first one I ever hooked happened in the dark and I thought I had hooked the new state record trout until I beached the fish and saw that it was a carp. After catching a few I learned to recognize the feel of a carp bulling the bottom. They are strong fish and great sport on a fly rod.
Ard... you know we don't have salmon here...I've never caught one...only very big bows in a reservoir but I imagine how strong this fish can be...lucky you to live in Alaska.There's one thing you don't know ...in the begining of the 20th century we had the most beautiful salmon streams "gaves" (in the "pays basque")in Europe,some English lords wanted to buy them...now french salmon fans have to go abroad to catch one...
JP