View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel1623 View Post
I was with Green River Outfitters, and the guide said the water was very high and had been so all summer. He seemed to be expecting slower fishing as a result, but we had good luck anyway. We did exclusively nymph fishing- he wanted to try some dry flies but felt it wouldn't work well in the high waters.

For a free Green River tip, the guide said if you do want to dry fly fish you shouldn't do so in the early part of the A stage right below the dam- you should wait until a later part where there are apparently more grasshoppers jumping into the water. I'm sure the advice would be different if there were an active hatch going on though.
I think you are correct, the water will warm up the further you get from the dam, we fished with Trout Creek Flies early in the year and primarily nymph fished, but the last mile or so before Little Hole we did some dry fly fishing with BWO's, but didn't do nearly as well as we did with the nymphs and the day we floated it was at 850 cfs which is pretty low compared to what you saw. I'm guessing it was probably around 2,000 cfs.

Larry