View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: double haul question

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs
All the modern technology in the world and I cant double haul to save my life.
It is kind of like patting your head with one hand while rubbing your stomach in a circle with the other hand. If you can train yourself to do that, you can double haul - but if, and only if you have a strong backcast with fairly tight loops.

The first thing I do now when helping people with their casting is to tell them "Now before we start, lets just go over a few things do a few warmup exercises so I can get an idea and blah blah blah."

Then I describe with words and with my arm and hand the 5 essentials.

Virtual Fly Casting - Instruction - The 5 Essentials

Then I have them pantomime their backcast stroke without a rod. Then I will do it, and have them watch how my forearm rebounds at the stop.

Then I have them do it with their heads turned so they can see their hands at the stop, telling them to accelerate faster right to the stop on each successive time until they get that forearm really bouncing.

Then I have them use less and less force, but still with the hard stop while looking at their rod hand to make sure they are still getting that forearm bounce, only not so violent. Even a short backcast will cause that bounce if the caster is really accelerating to the "stop".

Next, I fill a shot glass half full of water, so they can tilt it towards them without it spilling and have them "backcast" it against my downstairs door (numerous times) until it really "splats" against it in one tight little glob, and not a long line up and down the door.

Then we go out into the field and start the session with pickups and laydowns of the backcast only, with their line hand on their hip and the tip inches from the ground at the start, turning around and walking backwards after each one to remove the slack before doing another.

The objective is to aim the backcast on an upward angle (as if fishing) and get the line to unroll in the air with enough energy to spring back and fall to the ground with slack "S"'s caused by excess energy. After a few good ones, they will feel the tug of the line on the rod tip when it unrolls.

Then we do backcasts with their line hand holding the line and hauling AND with the line hand following the line into the rod hand just as on a "presentation" forward cast.

Try that series of steps and let us know what happens.

Last edited by wjc; 03-13-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: In red