Thread: single haul
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: single haul

I don't talk too much about casting because this is an internet discussion not real time encounters. When I examine my casting techniques I'm quite sure they are not normal but I seem to manage with the fishing part of all this.

When a double haul or distance thread comes up it tends to bring with it so many views that I almost always abstain from posting. Ever since I was young I've always taken notice to (usually older) fellows who seemed to cast effortlessly. It was them that I wanted to emulate and not anyone who looked as if they were putting a lot of work into it.

Now it's 2 handed rods and casting because I believe I have the traditional single hand thing down pretty well. Here in Alaska there are not any of those old timers casting the 2 hand rods for me to study so I've been left to my own devices. I try to limit the range / distance I cast and opt for a style that more closely mimics my single hand casting. Once the casting demands an increase of effort and energy I know I am beyond my comfort zone and I shorten the game.

I don't double haul cast very often at all. When I was beginning I did because I thought that distance was the hallmark of a good caster. I don't disparage people from learning distance casting because once in a while I find a situation where I need to utilize the skill but more often I seek to get closer to the target as opposed to flailing away at range. I think that if there is a negative aspect to distance casting while fishing a freshwater stream it is that the caster may very well be lining over countless fish in some situations. It's not just age that shortened my casts, I've been meticulously separating waters into grids and working with care since the late eighties and it has worked out well.

So, yeah I'm a single haul kinda guy

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;