View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WOOO...Tax time...considering new spey rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
It's a Loomis rod....what more needs to be said?
Have you cast a spey rod before? The reason I ask this is, if you have not cast a spey rod before, buy this one and "get your feet wet" so to speak, learn the basic cast, get a feel for what's going on for a season or two, and then decide which direction you will need to go for your next rod.

Or you could buy this rod as a dedicated Skagit & sink tip rod for deeper water & heavier flies, and build another rod for a Scandi, mid-belly, or longer belly line rod for fishing smaller lighter flies.

I hope this helps.
Hey fyshstykr

I have cast spey before....thought definately not pro. I took a course with Rick Whorwwod last year and worked through single roll, double spey and snap T. In the course, we used 13' loomis versaspeys with 540 skagit. I was snapping out casts easily with that set up. Since the course, I have been unsing my 11' switch with 7wt Rio Switch line. So, not pro...but not completely new.

All said, I like the way you think....though in the Canadian side of the Great Lakes...and the tribs I fish...I am not quite sure if these constitute 'deeper waters'. Still, I have always loved the look of the dredger (partial to green...hah).

The rod comes with Rio 475 grain Skagit.

Thanks for the responses guys

King Joe Outa Here!