View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

I would first cut the tippet back to about 3', and open up the loop a bit. What you describe becomes a similar situation as casting heavy Clousers. A chuck & duck. You don't say how much distance you're attempting either. Keeping the casts short helps some too. 30 ft perhaps.

I don't view a size 8 BH as an appreciably heavy fly, depending on the BH size used, but with the 3 wt IMO it's getting on the upper end of the weight range. The slower action rod is not helping you either, especially as you try to increase distance.

The 5/6 wt would be a better choice & I agree with Rip Tide about choosing the right tool. However, if that's the only rod, you can make due, but have to stay within the limits of that rod.

I've cast size 8 deerhair bugs with my 3 wt, (graphite, faster action too) which are wind resistant, 50 -60 ft when conditions are ideal, but adding the extra weight of a BH would cut that distance down considerably I'm sure.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!