View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM

weatherwar is on a distinguished road
Default Update #2

OP here with another update.

I gave you all an update at the beginning of the school year, and I thought I would give you another one, here at the end of the year.

I have been extremely happy with how the first year of the club worked out and am excited for the rest of my time being a part of it. In only a year, I can say it's been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

I'll start where I left off last time:
In the early fall, the last weekend in September, we had ten guys head up to the Pere Marquette for the salmon run (which was CRAZY this year). Everyone who went ended up catching at least one fish I believe, and some of us caught and landed a half dozen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then we had a few weeks before our "fall break" which is just an extended weekend, and ten guys went up to the AuSable river for two days on the river.

The Fishing was extremely technical, and only a few fish were landed, most of which on tiny nymphs by our most experienced AuSable fisherman.

Other events we put on in the first semester were a crash course in fly fishing for beginners as well as a fly tying session with Mike Mouradian, President of Ann Arbor Trout Unlimited.

Mike Schultz came in and gave the club a lesson with his crew as well.

Then the winter of all winters hit, and everything in Michigan froze over. Ann Arbor set a record for snowfall as well as consecutive days with snow cover. Wasn't a great time for fly fishing. As a club we stayed active posting videos, another fly tying session with Mike Mouradian, and club T-Shirts (which turned out awesome!).

Last weekend a few guys headed up to the local "Stockerfest" for a warmup before the Collegiate Steelhead Tournament on the PM.

We caught a bunch of pigs and it was a good time for sure!

And finally we come to present. Three days ago, Friday, we drove up to Baldwin and checked in our team of seven for the Michigan Collegiate Steelhead Tournament. The snow up there just melted and water levels were finally dropping and clearing.

We tied up some flies that night and then hit the hay only to wake up at 5:30 to get a good jump on the mass of drift boats we were expecting in peak season.

Click the image to open in full size. You can see our new shirts in this picture!

Three of us were on the ground and knew exactly what gravel we wanted to get on early, so we walked there as soon as we got to our destination. The four other guys were in a canoe so they could explore and hopefully find a good hole.

This was our big hookup with a chromie of the day and she ran into the woods within a few minutes of the fight.

Someone was disappointed (just kidding, we all were).

He made up for it with this one:

The team's biggest fish of the day was my big brown
Although the guys in the boat did get a nice brown and also a Steelhead (which they didn't count count because it was foul hooked).

It started to rain towards the end of the day and the fishing really slowed down

Our team didn't win anything, but everyone had fun and it was great to compete in a local tournament. 11 schools total competed, and Michigan State University won in the end (having a lot of people on the water helps immensely).

Overall it's been a great first year and I just wanted to thank everyone here for the help and support. We have some fun plans for summer and hope to expand even more next year. The only problem with the club that we want to figure out is how to help people who don't have gear, gear up and get involved in the sport without having to buy everything.

I will continue to update this thread in the future!