View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Starting a club at my University!

Hi Weatherwar;

As you might note im my signature I'm a member of the Livingston County Wildlife & Conservation Club (LCWCC) located in Hamburg (just about 10 min. N. of you). We're a 64 year old club so as far as clubs go rather established.

dhaynes makes some very good points which it looks like you followed and have paid off. Paid off mostly in that you passed your first year (by far the hardest). That said, the question is will it last more then four years or however long until the founding members move on (you all will have a much tougher time keeping things rolling due to the driving members eventually leaving). So to that end, what say you possibly look outside for some additional help.

TU is a great start! It's also my understanding that the Ann Arbor chapter is one of the better and more active ones. That said, and in that you're a Michigan native and have no doubt have seen "Michigan Out of Doors" perhaps it might serve your club to also contact the Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) at Home - Michigan United Conservation Clubs .

Another of our club members is the MUCC rep. so I might have this wrong but I know they have a youth program (which you would not fall under), and a full club program might be more then what you're looking for so falling in between. So perhaps it is time the MUCC has a mid-point program focussed toward University club memberships. It would make for quite a feather in your cap being the initiating club, and as you might expect their reach is far and wide within the state being the largest state specific organization on the planet. Such a growth would serve both of you, so it might be worth looking into.

A second group that I don't believe has a collegiate program that would benefit even more than the MUCC is the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) IGFA | International Game Fish Association . Contrary to what most people believe, they are not about game fish records yet utilize the keeping of them to assist in scientific research and protect sportfishermans rights by advising the world as to fisheries practices and conservation.

This last year, LCWCC became the only and very likely the first recognized IGFA fishing club in Michigan. More so than just Michigan, in all of the Great Lakes Basin including Canada, and we are the only current freshwater oriented fishing club all the way from the Arctic Circle to the Panama Canal.

Founded initially out of the U.S. Museum of Natural History and being about research and ethics which affect future generations opportunities, personally I believe an IGFA Collegiate Program offers them some spectacular growth. Not only does it grant them opportunity to reach out to the next generation of adult fisherman, it would also put them in touch through the students with the very research facilities they seek to gleen information from.

Lastly, by expanding the club to a group recognized not only at U of M but also across the state, and more so around the globe, it might just help establish your club just that much more. Insuring not only its current growth, yet when you all move on, keeping it growing establishing your legacy to hopefully remain for the years to follow.

Think on it.....If i can answer any questions, please feel free to contact me.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.