View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Feathers and Cheddar

Recovering from a bruised ego from my early spring steelhead trips I decided a driftless trip was in order. Game fish in wisconsin is closed till next month and stream trout is in its early catch and release season right now. Perfect!

I started on a small tributary of the famed Kickapoo system, a gem of a stream I haven't fished in 2 years. It is funny how the face of this creek has changed since my last visit. Pools have vanished and some have been created, but one thing is for sure, the naturally reproducing trout are still a mainstay here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Both these photos above show pools that didn't exist last time I was here. Regardless both of them were chalked with fish.

I fished most of the morning in the rain and poked 20 something fish on a bugger before venturing out yonder looking for new water.

The next creek I fished was a trib of the Bad Axe and was new water for me. I could tell instantly that this stream was money. Both bridge crossings had pools of visible trout and I put in a good hour here before getting chased of by thunder and lightning. A few fish came to hand in this stretch

I took the rain as a sign the head into town for a quick bite and gave the storm a chance to move on.

Afternoon was a game of cat and mouse with storm fronts. I moved my way east and then eventually south fishing my way home. Even though the winds picked up I still scored plenty of trouts on the 2 other creeks I hit on my way home. This pasture section was a bit difficult to fish in the wind but a well placed cast was rewarded more often then not.

Things seemed to fall into place on this trip despite the wind and rain. I felt as if I could do no wrong and caught fish at every stop, even at a place that had proved to be my kryptonite in the past. This river had given me the skunk two previous times, but today I prevailed.

I caught some fish, met some great people stream side, and had one hell of a trip!