Thread: Name this fly
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Name this fly

butchhe,

I've never seen that tie but it looks very simple to replicate. I would call it the red fly. Whether or not the two wisps of black material over the top of the body are important or not would be a matter of personal preference. If that was the original tie then I would add them. I would probably add some zinc eyes for weight in swifter currents also. Make some in the stock form and some weighted ones for the deep stuff. I tie many flies that have no name but still catch salmon. If one proves to be a consistent producer I'll give it a name, usually it will be descriptive rather than artful.

I have one question. Did you see each fish that he caught and were they all hooked in the inside of the jaw? I have had some pretty impressive days with sockeye but many were foul hooked by accident. The fly I used on such days had no bearing on how many fish I hooked but to an observer at fifty feet the action would have looked incredible. When fishing any great distance from the salt I find the sockeye usually aren't as aggressive as other species but do tend to group closely making a foul hook more likely. I don't mean to infer that anyone deliberately hooked fish but it happens.

Ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-18-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add content