View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Feathers and Cheddar

Inside my office complex runs a tiny warm water creek. They have dammed the creek at one end of the office complex and have created a series of flood retention ponds. I have worked here for over 15 years and have caught plenty of your typical warm water fish out of here. A lot of it is shallow and hard to fish but working the high percentage points will yield some decent fish.

Carp seem to be the most abundant of all the fish (or at least the most visible). Now that we are experiencing some intermittent warm days, I've taken my break time walking the ponds. High sun and warm days there have been a ton of carp moving on to the "flats" and have been super easy to spot. Thursday I counted nearly a dozen while out on break.

I have never caught a carp on the fly rod yet but decided that afternoon when I got off to give it a go. Returning to the "flats" as soon as I got out I found that the conditions had changed tremendously. The wind had picked up considerably and the fish were not concentrated as before.

My thoughts as an outsider to fly carping makes me think of stalking fish that are nose down and feeding by sight. The wind whipped surface made that impossible. I decided to poke around a few more spots in the park.

I rolled up to a road bridge that seperates two of the ponds. When the water is up there is some decent current here but for now it was just a trickle of water going through. I must have been a good boy today because nearly 20 carp were sitting in front of that bridge!

Click the image to open in full size.

I'll be dammed, my first cast spooked every single fish out of the hole. Patience finally prevailed and after a bit some feeders moved back in. I didn't get many turns on the hares ear but the orange scud got a few to turn after it. Couple of botched hookups but finally my first carp on fly

Click the image to open in full size.

Yes blurry photo but he was slimy and hard to hang on to. The fish bolted back home so this was the only photo I managed...