View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

Hello lake flyer,

Glad to know that the package arrived in good shape, and that you found the flies to your liking. Within the confines of your box-- and almost every other fly box that I build via my tying --rests a bit more than is obvious to the eye, something that goes well beyond the thread, steel, hair and hackle of each fly.

I've been wrapping hooks since I was a kid, one who was lucky enough to be raised and school among "elders" who always took the furthering of my outdoor education into account with everything they did. My grandfather and "Doc" Holship introduced me to fly-fishing at 8, and fly-tying soon after. And, it's my personal history with the "pride in the tie" that keeps me going even today.

You see, fly-tying gave me back my life some 17 years ago. After my first bout of brain cancer and the subsequent surgery, some 9 months of grueling rehab was on the agenda, just to get me back to being "fully functional." My oncologist at the time, now retired and living a few miles upriver from me, utilized my love of tying to help speed up the recovery of my hand-to-eye coordination. It worked, and I finished my rehab in 6 months...

And now, I tie every day to stay sharp and to ensure that I'll be able to continue teaching my yearly classes with "my kids." It's my means of paying it forward in my own way. As well, when you drop that fly box into your vest pocket, you'll gain a few new "fly-fishing partners," ones who will never crowd your favorite pool or cause any trouble, as "we" tend to fish beside you vicariously.

You see, while your box contains mostly my flies, it also carries a few of Ms Emily's Light Cahills and a couple of the ties from the vise of my youngest daughter-- the late Laramie. So, when time and opportunity allow, please tie them on and fish them as the flies were intended to be fished...

Jerry, aka hairwing530