View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beginner confusion on how to properly use leader and tippet

There is one other viable option: Furled Leaders. I even use them on my light 2handers for trout fishing.

To over simplify this a Furled leader is a tapered leader made up of 'woven' light leader material. A proper one will have a 2 or 3 'mm' ring at the end that you attach your tippet of choice. These come in different lengths and with your rod my guess is a five or 6 footer would adequate. Furled leaders are also 'built' with a given rod weight in mind so don't 'just buy one.'

It takes a heck of a lot of casting/abuse to ware one of these out and with the tippet ring you just clip off your added leader and put on a new section.

Fred

Almost forgot: They are not expensive at all.