View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WOOO...Tax time...considering new spey rod

SO...and update on the new rod.

I got out for a little action on Easter Sunday. While I was out 3 days earlier, nymphing, the river was quite high and muddy. THIS time, the water had dropped significantly (still high) and cleared tons.

Armed with the new rod....I went to some good spey water (and water away from my 'friends', the float/bait rodders...rrrrrrrrrr ).

And a couple things quickly became apparent as I stripped line out and began casting.
1) The 13'3" spey is NOT my 11' switch. Some adjustment needed with stroke and timing.
2) Shooting line....is easy...easier than the 11' switch.
3) I am TERRIBLE at spey casting (a sad reminder) . Basically, I 'see' what I am to do including self-talking through the strokes...make the strokes needed...but can't shoot cleanly off the water without a false cast-type of motion. THEN, with the false cast, I am shooting easily 90+ feet.
4) I need work/practice.
5) My shoulder felt great after many hours of spey casting. IF I had spent that same amount of time casting single hand, my nymph rig...my shoulder would have been seriously stressed.

On a good note, the above is not bad...just a realization.....I was successful at hooking up fish.

Landed 3 MONSTER Smallmouth...easily in the nearly 10 pounders. By-catch really as I am after steelhead....and smallies are not in season. Landed 1 small shaker/steelhead....and had a good handful or so more strikes. Likely, they were bass also but....strikes none-the-less.

I will be out again soon. Maybe this friday....hopefully, something will click in the brain...and I will be true spey casting (no false cast).

King Joe Outa Here!