View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funky internet advice.....Cheating?

Since up to this point, I don't think any of you know what a bottom bouncer is, ( nor should any fly fisherman need to ) I am posting a picture of it. The big orange and chartreuese lump on this giant wire hardware is a 2 oz. chunk of lead. This hardware was suggested to go in the leader and then troll the fly. In this system the entire fly rod/ fly line/ fly reel system is just for show. Any rod can do this. Hence my feeling that this is not fly fishing despite what the fly fishing site that recomended it thinks. Also pictured is a rod with a line counter reel and a spool of lead core. The rod set up pictured is the best way to troll lead core. Once again making the fly rod etc. just for show. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it or it should be made illegal or anything other than I don't think it should still be called fly fishing just because there is a fly involved. If I tape a fly to a piece of dynamite would that still be fly fishing? Here is a question for you; What would the IGFA call it?
Click the image to open in full size.