View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Barbless Flies, a political movement.

Let me guess, Noiso. You must have just been caught on the Truckee by a game warden who found out that your barb was not pinched down far enough.

The main reason why shops don't sell barbless flies is because they aren't available as you figured out. There are probably three or four suppliers that fill the majority of fly orders for all the shops in the industry. According to a friend in the industry, getting these companies to change their ways would be like trying to pull your own teeth out with pliers. To be realistic, don't plan on seeing commercially made barbless flies in fly bins soon.

Only one company can make that crossover. That would be Umpqua Feather Merchants. Almost all of its flies are made with Tiemco hooks since it is the North American distributor of TMC product. Unfortunately, Tiemco is slimming down its line of barbless hooks. In fact, TMC no longer makes barbless versions of the bugger (5263) or scud (2457) hooks. Umpqua has no say on what hooks that it can get from Tiemco. So get your Craftsmen pliers out.

Targus is another supplier of flies that has the ability to source its own hooks. The last time I checked, it didn't have a barbless hook at all. I have never been a fan of Targus hooks anyways.

Other fly suppliers (Montana Fly Company, Solitude, Idylwild) source their hooks from Daiichi or Mustad. I have only seen barbless dry fly hooks available from those two companies.

I would love to see the suppliers make barbless flies, but I know it's not going to happen. For now, I'll pinch down the barbs on store bought trout flies. And I'll keep tying everything else barbless.

As for fly shops, go see the guys at Leland Outfitters in Downtown SF.

MP