View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waited 2 1/2 years

Last week I received a belated Christmas present; from two Christmases ago!

It was a Tom Morgan 7'9" 3 wt. graphite rod and I can tell you, it was worth the wait. The rod casts like a dream; almost effortlessly in the 40-50' range with very good accuracy and great feedback coming through the blank on the casting stroke. I lawn cast it when it first arrived, then took it to one of our local stream for a little fishing. It has excellent feel with a fish on and has a lot of reserve backbone for a 3 wt. I fished a couple of dries (size 14's), a few nymphs (unweighted) and one of the Adams Buggers that I've just tied up recently (size 10). Everything cast out very well, even the heavier bugger.

Tonight I did a comparison with a couple of my favorite 3 wts.; a Diamondback 7'6" glass rod and a Sage 7'6" ZXL. Both of those rods have caught a lot of fish for me and since I fish mostly small streams, they've earned a special spot in my fishing heart.

But, it wasn't even close. Sometimes when you compare one rod to others, the things that you initially liked about it seem to fade away and you start focusing back on the things that you like about the rod that's in your hand. Not with this rod; comparison just makes it better. I think I'll have to go a long ways before I find a better 3 wt. in the under 8'0" size range.

Now if I can just avoid breaking it in on a rhodendron or worse up here on these overgrown freestone creeks.