View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I need help keeping interest in our club

why do you want to be a member of a fly fishing club?

why do you want to run one?

let the answers to these 2 questions be your guide and don't deviate or lose sight of them based on the response you get or how many folks do/don't show up. nobody is showing up now. nobody is giving you any better ideas now. nobody is even telling you what they want instead now.

you've heard "build it and they will come?"

well, build it and stay at it and like-minded fly anglers will eventually be attracted to it.

the most important thing is to have positive goals and engage in positive actions driven by those goals. if it ain't fun...stop it! life's too short to be unhappy.

sounds to me like you got a bunch of grumpy, negative old farts who probably weren't worth much anyway. fishing clubs tend to be over-populated by this type. the successful clubs i've been in and seen just ignore them and get busy. soon enough, the old geezers either get with it or get lost. there's a lot of great knowledge and wisdom to be gleaned from our senior anglers when they have good attitudes. but when they have crappy attitudes, they're just poison.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist