View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying the Black and Peacock Spider

A lot in common with the old North Country Spiders; but with the peacock herl body and ribbing. These flies just plain work.

One of my "go to" flies is the original Stewart Spider pattern; usually in black, hackled with a Starling covert. The irridescent flash off the Starling seems to be a big attractor to the trout in my area.

And for me, almost "anything and partridge" works well; almost all of the time.

I started fishing a brace of 3 wet flies this Summer on days when there's no hatch going on; or not much of one to speak of. As another poster put it, you get a lot of information quickly with that technique. I fish it off Scientific Angler's intermediate tip line. And although I'm a chronic false caster, three flies on the leader really keeps my false casting to a minimum.