View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to fly fishing questions about casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjguy07
i have a question about presentation. right now i have only about 5 feet of leader because as i was first getting used to casting i liked not haveing the screweyness of a longer leader but now that i am getting used to it i notice that when my fly hits the water it sometimes does a little ripple effect like a small rock being thrown in. will a longer leader help elimate this and get a better presentation or is it somthing wrong with my cast.
I would say to get a new leader, either a 7 1/2' or a 9' and add about a foot of tippet. You need that taper of the leader to present the fly softly. I don't know what you fish for, but I would make that leader a 4X or 5X for trout and maybe a 3X for bass. Again, you need that gradual taper. Add tippet to the end will make your leader last longer, specially if you need to try several different flies. When you hit the know connecting the tippet and the leader, just add more tippet and that is how you get a longer life out of your leader.
On another note, if you go with a furled leader, and add tippet to it, that could help greatly to the delicate lay.