View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redington Predator

Alright, here's the salt version of the review. In my opinion, if you can get away with a 6/7 wt rod to handle the wind and flies you need to throw in saltwater, the 6wt Predator is a great rod to swing. Sure an 8' rod may not cast as far as a 9', but for the fishing I like to do where you're making mostly 20-50' casts to sighted fish, its pretty perfect. If they're further out, you've gotta have perfect conditions and/or magical eyes to see them. If they're tailing, you can generally get to them.

It threw tight loops and put a quick whoopin on fish. Its appearance impressed a buddy of mine as well. When I pulled it out of the tube and said Redington, I heard "That's a REDINGTON, I thought it was a Sage." (For reference, this guy's flats boat is worth more than both of my household's cars, combined)

The 6wt Sharkskin Magnum line is a great match for the 6wt Predator. Its definitely heavy for a 6, so it loads the rod quickly and well. From a durability standpoint, I can't yet say whether Sharkskin is worth the additional 30%, but I'd say it does performance wise. Wow that stuff shoots like crazy.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.