View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recommended line weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo79 View Post
I'm using a 10wt sage tcr to cast and I've tried using sharkskin magnum and rio outbound line. I'm having issues getting the fly any further than 30ft on my casts. I'm sure some has to do with my mechanics but I was wondering if going to an 11wt or 12wt rod and line, or should I be using a different 10wt line that will help me get a little distance?
You should be able to punch out those larger flies on a 10 weight TCR fairly easily with the said lines. The Sharkskin Magnum is roughly one full line weight heavier. The Rio Outbound is roughly two line weights heavier. You should be feeling the rod load.

I have noticed though that many casters have trouble casting the 37' head on a Rio Outbound. It's just too much head length for them to manage. Because of that, Rio introduced the Outbound Short last fall. That line has a 30' head with the same amount of grain weight as the standard Outbound. Managing 30' of line is much easier than managing 37' of line.

The TCR is an ultra fast rod. It really requires a very quick and powerful stroke to get the rod to load for you. If you cannot match your stroke to the action of the rod, it's not the right rod for you.

I cannot comment on your casting ability since I have never seen you cast before. If you have some spare time, go to a local fly shop and have one of the shop rats watch you cast. He/she could give you some feedback on your casting. Just wondering, can you do a double haul cast?

MP