View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What are your favorite brook trout flies?

Kerry,

Please PM the materials list for your suede fly, it looks like it'll work here.

Wado,

I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania and became a tier of feather wing streamers when I began tying flies. They are a bit frilly but these two were effective where ever I fished for Salvelinus fontinalis aka brook trout. If you really love them, as I do pick up a copy of Nick Karas ; Brook Trout. It is very informative and provides an historical account of the linage of our modern day brook trout.

Lew Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
A variation of the Nine Three, the original pattern works just fine;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

For dry flies I always liked the Bi Visible and if a more articulated pattern was called for many of my local creeks had thick hatches of the may fly that is represented by the Female Beaverkill. I had fishing buddies who preferred elk hair caddis but I liked the more traditional Catskill style patterns. I don't have any photos of the two flies I mentioned on file but they are old and easy to find in any good reference book on patterns.

Ard