View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: recommended line weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo79 View Post
I can get the rod to load, and I put a pretty good bend in the rod on my forward and backward cast. the problem I have is on the cast I will get the line out but the big hairy flies just seem to catch alot of wind and slow down and stop the momentum at about 50ft. I was hoping to may get some more distance out if there was a better line i should be using or I maybe wasn't using a heavy enough weight.

Thanks,

Mike.
If your problem lies more in getting the fly to turn over than getting the line out there, then the problem likely lies in the fly itself. Keeping in mind that the fly line is actually towing the fly through the air, the fly's own wind resistance may be more than its own inertia and the assistance of the leader can overcome.

This may seem counterintuitive, but adding weight to the fly may help. Imagine throwing both a dry sponge and a wet sponge as far as you can. I bet you already know the wet sponge will fly farther, due to it having some extra weight that can overcome the resistance. The key is to get enough extra weight on the fly to overcome its wind resistance without adding so much that its a burden to cast.

A guy named Mark Sedotti from the East Coast has made a name for himself promoting this idea, and frequently appears at fly shows using fairly light rods to throw very large flies astonishing distances. His theories generate some controversy, as seen here http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29835

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.