View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 PM

bbanking will become famous soon enoughbbanking will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Redington Predator

I own a flats fishing guide service that operates out of San Muguel, Cozumel, Mexico. Until recently, my favorite rod was an older G Loomis Mega Taper GLX 8/9 weight rod, 8'6" in length. About a year ago, I received a Redington Predator 9 weight, 8'4" in length. I thought I would use the rod as a back up in the event of an angling emergency. A week after I received the rod I decided to give it a shot on Snook in a mangrove filled lagoon just south of Puerto Aventuras. I quickly discovered that the Redington Predator has great action, a smooth and light swing and a lot of guts in the bottom end. I especially like the 4 section configuration. The next week, I took the rod Bonefishing on Cozumel with the same delightful results. I have discovered that Cortland's 444 Lazer Line Tropical in 9wt Redfish taper is the trick for my casting style (I throw a lot of crab patterns, Epoxy Moes and Gurglers). The line is not effected by the warm water or the heat generated by the Mexican sun. The rod loads quickly and yields accurate casts in windy Yucatan conditions. I have no complaints and only praises for the Redington Predator. It is a bargin for the money and the Predator is now my "go to" rod. I noticed that it is marketed as a Bass rod but it is also a great flats rod...especially for Snook and Baby Tarpon that dominate the lush mangroves. Tom Martin, www.pescamexicana.com