View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flies from Across the Pond

Below are some pics, recipies and fishing tips for a series of flies tied by jbbfly (Jean-Paul). He fishes a lot of trout, chubs and dace on his home waters in France. Looks like they'd fish very well here in the US and I plan to give them a workout tomorrow at one of my local streams if there's anything coming off the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

jpb "Hi-Vi"

Hook: Fulling mill 31810 #14 bl
Thread: Beige/brown, 6/0
Tail: Large light gray dun hackle tip
Hackle: Rusty dun or variant (dun light beown)
Wing: Orange fibers (same as those used to make eggs)

Fishing hints: I made this fly to fish fast and pocket waters. It can be seen in nearly all conditions in the sun and in the shade. Usually floats well, but fish may also take it as a wet in swirling water.

jpb "Bi-color"

Hook: Fullling mill 31810 #14 bl
Thread: Olive 6/0
Tail: Dun rooster fibers
Wings: Vitafloss, beige
Hackles: Two; one dun / one coachman brown

Fishing hints: An all-around fly for fast waters. I use it when there's no other bug life on the water (it may look a little like a small March Brown).

Both this fly and the first one are tied after the "Paysanne de Fages" (the fishmeister). This means that I use a little piece of ballpoint pen tube. I also put a drop of superglue on the body to make it more solid and brighter. These two flies can be tied as #'s 14, 16 and 18.

jpb "Ugly Green"

Hook: #14/16 bl
Thread: Black, 6/0
Body: Olive green dubbing
Thorax: Hare flash, black
Tail/Legs/wings/ribbing: Krystal flash, pearl

Fishing hints: I created this fly to fish still waters. I have caught big trout with it. It can be used an an emerger, but also as a buzzer or a wet; slowly "knitting" the line both in moving and still waters.

jpb "Chub Special"

Hook: #12/14
Beads: One orange, green or caramel plastic / one copper, 2.8mm
Body: Olive green, orange, yellow or black dubbing
Thorax: Hare flash, black
Tail. legs: Olive, orange, yellow or black goose biots
Ribbing: Copper wire, thin

Fishing hints: I make this nymph up in different colors to fish for big Chubs on sight. The black and olive are the ones that I use more often, but the yellow and orange ones are sometimes very good; not only in troubled waters. Although I call it a "Chub special", I've also caught Browns and Rainbows with this pattern.

If you have any questions or comments on these patterns, please post them to this thread or PM "Jbbfly".

Thanks,

Pocono