View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flies from Across the Pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Pocono,

How about you or Tob1 writing an article on how to photograph flies? We would all appreciate it.

Frank
Here is my setup for photo
I use an old Nikon coolpix model 995 for my macros. The camera have only 3 MPix but that is plenty enough for web publishing. The old Coolpix cameras from Nikon have special god optics for macro photo, so if you se one used for a god price , I recommend you to buy it. Models to look for is Coolpix 990 -995 -4500. (I have all models ).
So for the setup with a compact camera - my advice is that you never use the flash on the camera. Use a tripod or place the camera on something steady. If the light is to hard - you can soften it with a white difusor or move the lamps a bit longer from the fly. You can reflect the light with a white paper or som aluminium foil ( if you want som more light from under the fly). It is not recommended to use white or black background - two reasons for that 1. the camera have problem to focus (autofocus) 2. the colors on the fly will be washed out. Recommended backgrounds is blue or green. Use a plain color background.
Then it is to shoot away and take a lot of pictures. You will master it very quick.

Here is my setup for today. The background I use is a plain color waxpaper.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a Lafountaine Micro diving caddis in size 18 that was on the vice today.

Click the image to open in full size.

Trygve