View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redington Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Mojo, I'll throw my opinions out there, but keep in mind that I have actually spent zero time fishing for trout with sinking lines on lakes from a kickboat.

I don't think its a very ideal stillwater rod for a couple reasons. Its length limits casting distance a bit, and unless you're doing nothing but sight casting to close fish, I would think you'd want a rod that makes booming long casts quite easy. I also wouldn't think you'd want such a short rod for sinking lines, given the need to put the line back on top with a roll cast before re-casting.

All that said, it is much less tiring to cast all day than a 9' rod with similar power, and will cast 85% as far easily, so maybe that makes it an ideal stillwater rod. You're the one with the stillwater experience, not me.

Chucking big streamers in a river is a situation where that rod can REALLY shine though. My 6wt with the 6wt Mag Sharkskin line will fling meat like an 8wt, no problem. I think the shorter length also is very adept to hit tighter spots where the toads may be hanging out. There's a couple of local rivers that are outside of the area I normally fish (not too wade-friendly) that are calling out to me and that rod: 40-90' wide, lots of trees and brush, and lots of big bass.

Two disclaimers: On a huge river where you're wanting to be able to cover the whole thing and know a 10' 7wt would be ideal, a 7' 10" rod obviously isn't ideal. Also, with the shorter rod length, a weighted streamer will be flying even lower during casting, so that should be kept in mind when thinking about driftboat or raft fishing situations.
With a 9' rod, I normally throw out an average of 60' to 70' of line. But I'm also above water and at 6'3" I have some long arms. Usually after stripping the line in, it's a 20' pick up. ( I put a dab of UV Knot Sense at 30' and 60' so I know where I am with the line.) I have a Fenwick Ferrulite 5w that's 5'3" long I've used before. Not the best length for stillwater, but it's fun once in a while.