View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: semi-new fly tyer needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum17 View Post
i have copper wire and french tinsle, should i bother with the low grade hackle or just sacrifice a few bucks for the better stuff?
The difference between the difference is the amount of usable feathers. Higher grade hackle has more usable feathers.

Depending on how often you tie, it can take awhile to burn through a skin. If you want to buy the lower grade hackle, so you can have money to spend on other materials, go right ahead.

I don't tie many dry flies, so I mostly buy the Bronze grade in Whiting Farms feathers. It takes me years to go through them.

MP