View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: rod-reel balance...help

Rap,

I'm not sure where I got this idea from, but for at least 30 years I have been striving to balance my rigs at that point on the handle that is right behind the winding check. Somehow the words old-timer come to mind, someone schooled me to think this way.

By balance I mean reel mounted, line strung up, and fly on the keeper. I think a rig is perfect if it will sit atop the tip of my index finger at the check. The one virtue that good balance has is that when you are walking and carrying a rod, you need not keep a death grip on the handle to keep the tip from dipping into the ground or angling up into the limbs of the trail side brush. Those of you who have snapped a tip by dipping it into the ground should be able to relate to this immediately.

Whether or not balance reduces fatigue when casting is an open debate, I would think that once you are hauling 30 or more feet of line around above your head, the balance point created between your rod and reel isn't all that important.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-05-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: punctuation