View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: rod suggestions for steelheads

I know nothing of the Reddington rod. I do have experience with the Flight. I cast a 10' 7 wt. I got to do this over a few days on my pond. I didn't actually fish it. The Flight casts very nicely. I could easily feel the rod load with 15', or 40' of line out. I was able to get nice tight loops, or more open loops when I wanted. The rod has enough backbone to pick lots of line up off the water. Roll casting was easy. I could get the line to roll out beautifully and lay down softly. Overall, the Flight I tried out would make a really good steelhead rod. The case is nice, in that, you can leave the reel on the rod.
I just realized you asked about other suggestions. You might want to look at the Scott A3 rods. I cast the 10' 7 wt. IMO the A3s are one weight lighter than advertised. I have a 6 wt A3 that actually casts a 5 wt line more to my liking than it does a 6 wt. This seems to be the case with the 7 wt. It was definitely slower than the Flight 7 wt. It seems to me an 8 wt, casting 7 wt line, would be a nice rod for steelhead. The A3 rods are priced the same as the Flight.