Thread: Going Tiny Swap
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Tiny Swap

OK, I'm back from my trip, but after stepping off the plane, a 9 hour drive to Maine last night and 4 hours sleep, I'm not quite 100% yet. So, if this post is a little ragged, there's a reason for it.

Here's another update on the patterns for all of you.

Futuramille - BH GRHE Nymph, #24
Joni - Black Snow Fly, #30
Bamboo10 - BWI para extended body, #20
Jimmie - Zebra Midge emerger, #20
Pocono - Griffith Gnat variant, #22
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - Paraloop Midge, #24/-
Greenwood - BWO wet, #20
Kerry Pitt - TBD
BlueBird - WD-40 Midge, #20
Get_Jiggy - Grizzly para Midge, #26

Joni - due date is December 15th. How did you inset your pattern into my previous post?

Tob1 - if you want to change your pattern to something smaller - like that #32 you posted to the "going Tiny" thread, then that's fine with me. Changes are always acceptable, as long as we can get the final choice flies in by the due date. And I think that going smaller on this "going tiny" swap is, directionally, a good thing to do.

Futuramille - Tob1 put me onto the camera that I'm using now. It's a 2001 Nikon 4500 Coolpix; purchased off ebay for a very reasonable price. The key is to get a camera that has a good macro function; which not all digital cameras have, but which a lot of the original Coolpix cameras do have. You want to be able to get in really close to the subject; 1 cm (about 1/2 inch) is, I think, optimal. It really helps in the self-critiquing of your own ties, because my eyes are not good enough to give me feedback on the details of what I try on the smaller hooks; say #20 and smaller. But, the pics from that camera are. I also learned from Tob1 that in order to do web publishing of your pics, you really only need 0.8 megapixels. That's right - only 0.8! So, going to a higher megapixel camera (which was one of the directions that I was headed in), isn't really helpful for web photos. I'd have to go with a really good DSLR camera to get a better macro function than I now have on that old Nikon and, frankly, I'm not going to spend that kind of money to photo the flies that I tie up.

I think that your own suggestions on your pattern are good. I'd try them, see how you like them; fish them, if possible, and proceed from there. That tie looks pretty good as is to me right now.

BlueBird - thanks for posting your pattern; pretty fly. WD-40's are always effective patterns up here in the Poconos.

I just ordered some #28, #30 and #32 hooks (for me that's a real flyer!). I thought that I could try some simple midge patterns on them to see how they come out (maybe a Thread Midge, Disco Midge or Zebra Midge (if I can find a bead that's small enough - maybe a couple of wraps of flash?)). They won't be pretty - I can guarantee that! But they'll start me down a road that I haven't been on yet, and that always fun.

Pocono