View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod suggestions for steelheads

The price point series that has impressed me most is the Winston Vapor. Its 10 foot 7 weight ($325) has a nice crisp feel that some of the premium rods have. There is enough backbone to subdue a pissy Steelhead and to toss a heavy nymph rig. The Vapor is packaged up with an aluminum rod tube and cloth sock (something unheard of in a price point rod).

As for lines, I like using a 7 weight Rio Atlantic Salmon and Steelhad line and the SA Mastery Steelhead line for floating lines. If you prefer to cast more off the mid section of the rod, upline to an 8 weight. If you want to swing some large Steelhead flies on a sink tip, I recommend a 250 grain Rio 24ft DC sink tip. That extra grainweight will help you cast the highly wind resistant ugly flies.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-10-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: had to fix something